Graduate students must complete a Request for Student Travel and Research Form for ALL domestic and international travel related to their studies (conference travel, field research, archival research, etc.)
Graduate students must also fill out a Travel and Leave Form for any travel as an employee of Texas A&M. This applies, for example, to students who are working in a wage position on a field project.
Graduate students (enrolled as students at TAMU) must register international travel with the Study Abroad Office. This includes international travel to conferences and international travel for research.
After registering with Study Abroad, graduate students need to complete the Department of Anthropology Travel Request Form. This form needs to be signed by the student’s chair/or project PI and by the department head. This form should only be completed after registering with the Study Abroad Office. Signing off on the form verifies that the student has registered with the Study Abroad Office.
Prior to August 1, 2011, if you registered with Study Abroad, you were automatically covered by SOS International for evacuation, but you had to purchase the health insurance separately. The university no longer uses the SOS service, but now uses Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). When you sign up for the health insurance (which is highly recommended, even if you are already covered under a health insurance plan), you also are signed up for the travel insurance and evacuation insurance. For all the services this insurance provides, it is relatively inexpensive. CISI Education Abroad Coverage
Texas A&M has contracted with CISI, a 24-hour travel and security assistance service for faculty, staff and students who travel to international destinations on official university business or an A&M sponsored trip. CISI manages a wide range of requests ranging from lost passports, physician referrals, and complex medical and security evacuations. For more information on additional coverage available to faculty and student travelers, please contact the Study Abroad Office at (979) 845-0544.
To register for CISI coverage, click here
According to University Rule 21.01.03.M1, a faculty or staff member traveling on university business to a country under a travel warning must have approval from the university President. You must complete a Foreign Travel Request Form, as well as an Acknowledgement of Risk Form if you will travel to a country currently under a Department of State Travel Warning.
Forms must be completed using the fillable pdf function, and not handwritten. If this paperwork is not completed prior to departure, individuals will not be reimbursed by Texas A&M University for expenses. Please contact Mary Schubert at here in the Liberal Arts business office if you have questions.
Department of Anthropology Graduate Student Research Prize Undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Anthropology are invited to apply for the Student Research Prize competition.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled students in the Department of Anthropology. Undergraduates must be anthropology majors.
- Students in both categories must be registered to present their research as a poster during Student Research Week (2014).
- For more information, visit the Student Research Week website
- Students must be willing to have their work displayed in the Department of Anthropology for up to one year after receiving the award, beginning in the Fall 2014 semester. Students are encouraged to include additional materials in the display cabinet (photos, brochures, artifacts).
- Awards will be presented in two categories: Undergraduate and Graduate.
- One undergraduate student winner and one graduate student winner will receive:
- Cash Prize - $250
- Certificate of Achievement
- The honor of having their poster displayed in one of the display cabinets on the 2nd floor of the Department of Anthropology throughout the 2014-2015 academic year. (Students may temporarily remove the poster if they are scheduled to present at another conference.)
- Application form must be submitted by Friday, March 7th (to Marco Valadez)
- Posters must be submitted by Friday, March 28th (to Department of Anthropology Main Office)
- A small committee of faculty members in the Department of Anthropology will select the winners of the competition. Faculty judges will evaluate the quality of the research and the quality of the presentation.
Application for GA Positions & Scholarships in Anthropology – Coming Soon
- Due in March
Application for Departmental Travel Funds – Coming Soon
- Due in November
Sample Grant Applications – Coming Soon
IRB approval is required for all research projects involving human subjects. For more information, please consult the Texas A&M Office for Research Compliance and Biosafety website.
Sample IRB Application Forms – Coming Soon
GRADUATE DEGREE PAPERWORK
The Office of Graduate and Professional Studies website contains a comprehensive list of forms relevant to graduate studies, including:
- Steps to Fulfill Masters Degree Requirements
- Steps to Fulfill Doctoral Degree Requirements
- Steps to Fulfill Preliminary Exams
These are the most commonly used forms for MA and PhD students:
- Degree Plan
- Used for both MA and PhD students
- Must be filed at least 90 days before the Preliminary Exam is taken
- Preliminary Exam Checklist and Report of the Preliminary Exam
- Both forms must be turned in within 10 days of the scheduled exam
- Exam must be completed at least 14 weeks prior to the Final Exam (i.e. defense date)
- Proposal Approval Page
- Used for both theses and dissertations
- Must be submitted no later than 15 working days prior to submission of the Request and Announcement of Final Examination
- Request and Announcement of Final Exam
- Used for both MA theses & PhD dissertations
- Must be submitted at least 10 days prior to the exam
- Request for Exemption from the Final Exam
- Must be submitted at least 10 days prior to deadline to complete the exam
- Often used by MA students if committee decides a committee defense is not necessary
In addition to the OGAPS form, the Department of Anthropology uses the forms below as part of the assessment process. Please ensure that both forms are completed when you complete their MA or PhD degrees. (Bring a copy of these forms to your final committee meeting.)
- Analytical and Critical Thinking Assessment
- Needs to be filled out & signed by all committee members
- For both MA and PhD students
- Anthropology Exit Questionnaire
- Needs to be filled out by students after they take final exam
- For both MA and PhD students
All graduate students must complete an Annual Evaluation Form every year. Evaluation forms are used to evaluate student progress, to compile reports on the graduate program, and to assist the committee that makes decisions regarding departmental assistantships.
Completed forms, with your advisor’s signature, will be turned into Marco Valadez by Friday, February 21, 2014. Please note that you will be jeopardizing your chances of receiving departmental funding if you turn your form in late.
CAREERS IN ACADEME
Curious what Search Committees wish you knew? Want to learn how to make your CV impeccable? Would it help to hear newly minted PhD's tell stories of their experience in the job market and at their first appointments?
The Chronicle of Higher Education has a series of articles compiled in a special report to answer questions like these that graduate students may have about entering the job market!
To read this series of articles, please click HERE!